University of Khartoum

Artemether in the Treatment of Falciparum Malaria during Pregnancy in Eastern Sudan

Artemether in the Treatment of Falciparum Malaria during Pregnancy in Eastern Sudan

Show full item record

Title: Artemether in the Treatment of Falciparum Malaria during Pregnancy in Eastern Sudan
Author: Adama, Ishag; Elwasilaa, Eltaib; Ali, Daw Alnour Mohammed; Elansari, Elhassan; Elbashir, Mustafa I.
Abstract: This study was carried in New Halfa Hospital, eastern Sudan from October 1997 to February 2001. Twenty-eight pregnant Sudanese women infected with Plasmodium falciparum were treated with intramuscular artemether (six injections, 480 mg) after failure of chloroquine and quinine therapy. The patients were followed-up until delivery; the babies were followed-up until the age of 1 year. Artemether was given to one patient in the tenth week of gestation, to 12 during the second trimester, and to 15 during the third trimester. It was well tolerated, the parasitaemia was cleared and the patients were symptom-free within three days. One patient (3.5%) delivered at 32 weeks and the baby died six hours after delivery. The other 27 (96.5%) delivered full-term live babies. None of the pregnant women died and there was no abortion, stillbirth or congenital abnormalities in the newborn babies.
URI: http://khartoumspace.uofk.edu/handle/123456789/18049
Date: 2015-12-29


Files in this item

Files Size Format View

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show full item record

Share

Search DSpace


Browse

My Account