University of Khartoum

Artesunate plus Sulfadoxine-Pyrimethamine for Treatment of Uncomplicated Plasmodium Falciparum malaria in Sudan

Artesunate plus Sulfadoxine-Pyrimethamine for Treatment of Uncomplicated Plasmodium Falciparum malaria in Sudan

Show simple item record

dc.contributor.author Elamin, Sakina B.
dc.contributor.author Malik, Elfatih
dc.contributor.author Abdelgadir, Tarig
dc.contributor.author Khamis, A.
dc.contributor.author Mohammed, Mamoun M.
dc.contributor.author Ahmed, Elderderi S.
dc.contributor.author Adam, I.
dc.contributor.other Department of Community Medicine en_US
dc.date 2005
dc.date.accessioned 2015-12-30T07:55:51Z
dc.date.available 2015-12-30T07:55:51Z
dc.date.issued 2015-12-30
dc.date.submitted 2015
dc.identifier.uri http://khartoumspace.uofk.edu/handle/123456789/18082
dc.description.abstract Early diagnosis and effective treatment with an appropriate drug form the main components of the World Health Organization's strategy to reduce malaria related mortality. The few available drugs might be safeguarded if combined with artesunate. The addition of artesunate to a standard antimalarial treatment substantially reduces treatment failure, recrudescence and gametocyte carriage. Methods During late 2004, the efficacy of artesunate (4 mg/kg. day, on days 0–2) plus sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine (25 mg/kg, on day 0) for the treatment of uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum malaria was investigated in four sentinel areas in Sudan, with different malaria transmission (Damazin, Kassala, Kosti, and Malakal). Results Two hundreds and sixty-nine patients completed the 28-day follow-up. On day one, 60 (22.3%) patients were febrile and 15 (5.5%) patients were parasitaemic. On day three, all the patients were afebrile and aparasitaemic. While two patients (0.7%, Kassala) showed late Clinical and Parasitological Failures, the rest (99.3%) of the patients demonstrated Adequate Clinical and Parasitological Response. A gametocytaemia were detected during the follow-up in one patient (0.37%, Kassala). Adverse drug effects were detected in 32 (11.9%) patients Conclusion The study showed that AS plus SP is an effective, safe drug in the treatment of uncomplicated P. falciparum malaria in Sudan. en_US
dc.language.iso en en_US
dc.publisher Malaria Journal en_US
dc.subject Plasmodium falciparum en_US
dc.subject Sudan en_US
dc.subject Malaria en_US
dc.title Artesunate plus Sulfadoxine-Pyrimethamine for Treatment of Uncomplicated Plasmodium Falciparum malaria in Sudan en_US
dc.type Publication en_US
dc.Faculty Medicine en_US

Files in this item

Files Size Format View

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record

Share

Search DSpace


Browse

My Account