University of Khartoum

Isolation and Identification of Aerobic Bacteria Associated With Respiratory Tract Infections in Chickens (Baladi Type) in Khartoum State, Sudan

Isolation and Identification of Aerobic Bacteria Associated With Respiratory Tract Infections in Chickens (Baladi Type) in Khartoum State, Sudan

Show full item record

Title: Isolation and Identification of Aerobic Bacteria Associated With Respiratory Tract Infections in Chickens (Baladi Type) in Khartoum State, Sudan
Author: Abdelkareem, Abdelrazig Adam Hussein
Abstract: This study was carried out in Khartoum State (Khartoum, Bahri and Odurman) from January to July, 2014 to isolate and identify the aerobic bacteria associated with the respiratory tract infections of chickens (Baladi Type). Fourty five samples were collected from different infected chickens (male and female from one month to ten months) showing clear respiratory symptoms. The samples were collected from Large Baladi (30 samples, 66.7%) and Bare-neck (15 samples, 33.3%). The samples were nasal, conjunctival, infra-orbital sinuses and tracheal swabs and specimen from lungs. Different types of media (Nutrient broth, Nutrient agar, Blood agar, Chocolate agar, Peptone water) were used for bacterial culturing. Identification of all isolates was carried out on the basis of morphology, staining reaction, cultural characteristics and biochemical reactions. All collected samples showed bacterial growth and yielded 55 isolates. Thirty four (61.8%) of the isolates were found to be gram negative bacteria and the remaining 21 (38.2%) isolates were gram positive bacteria. The gram negative bacteria isolated were Escherichia coli (16.4%), Pseudomonasspp (9.1%), Klebsiellaspp (5.5%), Shigellaspp(3.6%), Proteusspp (9.1%), Pasteurella multocida (7.3%), Bordetellaspp (3.6%), Haemophilus paragallinarum (3.6%)and Yersinia pseudotuberclosis (3.6%). The gram positive bacteria isolated were Staphylococcusspp (12.7%), Micrococcusspp (9.1%), Bacillus spp (10.9%) and Streptococcusspp (5.5%).It was concluded that the bacterial respiratory tract infections constitute one of the constraints to poultry production (Baladi Type) in Khartoum State, Sudan.
Description: 86page
URI: http://khartoumspace.uofk.edu/123456789/24404


Files in this item

Files Size Format View

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show full item record

Share

Search DSpace


Browse

My Account