University of Khartoum

Isolation of Staphylococcus species from Salted Fish and White Cheese and Determination of their Tolerance to Sodium Chloride

Isolation of Staphylococcus species from Salted Fish and White Cheese and Determination of their Tolerance to Sodium Chloride

Show full item record

Title: Isolation of Staphylococcus species from Salted Fish and White Cheese and Determination of their Tolerance to Sodium Chloride
Author: Alnujomi, AyatAbdallah Mohammed Ali
Abstract: The present study was carried out to isolate and identify Staphylococcus spp. in white cheese and salted fishKawara (Alestesspp.)and to study their growth in media containing salt concentrations ranging from 1% to 10%. The study was conducted in Khartoum (Gabel Aulia) and Khartoum Bahri (Central Station) during the period from February 2015 to April 2015. A total of 100 samples; 50 cheese and 50 salted fish were transported to the laboratory for microbial analysis of which 31 gave bacterial growth. The Staphylococci were recovered from 26% of cheese samples, and the percentage to total isolates from samples was 42% whereas out of 50 salted fish samples the percentage was 36% and the percentage to total isolates from samples was 58%. Staphylococcus species isolated from cheese and salted fish samples included Staphylococcus aureus 12%, Staphylococcuschromogens74%, Staphylococcus hominis3.23%, Staphylococcusgallinarum3.23%,Staphylococcus saprophyticus3.23% and Staphylococcus simulans3.23%. Staphylococcus aureusand Staphylococcus chromogensgrew up to 10% concentrations of sodium chloride, whereas Staphylococcus simulans, Staphylococcusgallinarum, Staphylococcus saprophyticus andStaphylococcus hominisgrew in salt concentration up to 9%. Staphylococcuschromogenspredominated in all samples followed by Staphylococcus aureus. All Staphylococcus species isolated from cheese and salted fish samples gave poor growth on media containing catalase 1% and moderate growth on media containing sodium pyruvate 1% and rich growth on media containing a combination of 2% sodium pyruvate and catalase.The results revealed that unhygienic practices in making salted fish and cheese could constitute hazards to human health. Therefore, strict hygienic measurements must be applied.
Description: 54page
URI: http://khartoumspace.uofk.edu/123456789/25485


Files in this item

Files Size Format View

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show full item record

Share

Search DSpace


Browse

My Account