University of Khartoum

Urban Sustainability In Khartoum Neighborhoods

Urban Sustainability In Khartoum Neighborhoods

Show full item record

Title: Urban Sustainability In Khartoum Neighborhoods
Author: Gaafar, Zainab Osman Mahgoub
Abstract: Sustainability can insure that the living environment in the neighborhood is livable and more optimal. The lack of adequate local assessment criteria for sustainable development in neighborhoods leads to poor living environment and non-organized public participation in neighborhood consolidation and development. The main objectives of the research are to outline the main factors of urban sustainability in neighborhoods, to evaluate sustainable urban parameters in neighborhoods of Khartoum state. Five neighborhoods built by Khartoum State Housing and Development Fund located in all three towns of Greater Khartoum are selected as case studies. The selection criteria was based on location depending on distance from Khartoum state CBD, proximity to rural areas and services, date of start on construction and housing types used. All the neighborhoods have a mixture of housing types for at least two types, the housing for the low-income groups represent 50% to 70% of the total number the other 50 -30% are investment housing. It also has found that the main components of the neighborhood are as follows Residential 48 – 56%, Open spaces 6 – 9%, Services 4 – 7%and Streets 31 – 39%. They are compatible with the sustainable neighborhood standard made by the UN-Habitat. The planning pattern of the neighborhoods does not insure compactness, even though the plot size (300 m2) is smaller than the average plot size (400 – 500 m2) in other neighborhoods. The research reached that since the government isn’t involved in the incremental development or any other urban development of the housing projects that they offer after the inhabitants settled this causes a great loss in the potentials of organized community participation as well as better solutions for construction and urban development. It also concluded that the residents are not included in any decision making concerning planning in fact their contribution only spears after their relocation to the neighborhoods. The decision to locate these neighborhoods in remote areas helps achieve savings on land prices at the neighborhood level, but housing-led sprawl has produced growing demands for public investment in urban services that are straining budgets at the national level. The research recommends that the authorities should invite inhabitants to act as partners in order to build consensus on a vision for the future of their neighborhoods, and encourage families to use part of their houses for other uses such as commercial to improve family income, keep inhabitants near their homes
URI: http://khartoumspace.uofk.edu/123456789/26483


Files in this item

Files Size Format View

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show full item record

Share

Search DSpace


Browse

My Account