University of Khartoum

Evaluation of Patients Knowledge , Practice and Accuracy of Glucometers in Diabetes Clinic at Soba University Hospital, Khartoum, Sudan

Evaluation of Patients Knowledge , Practice and Accuracy of Glucometers in Diabetes Clinic at Soba University Hospital, Khartoum, Sudan

Show full item record

Title: Evaluation of Patients Knowledge , Practice and Accuracy of Glucometers in Diabetes Clinic at Soba University Hospital, Khartoum, Sudan
Author: Dawood, Fatima Suliman
Abstract: Background: Blood glucose monitoring is a way of testing glucose level in the blood (glycaemia) .particularly important in the care of Diabetes Mellitus. POCTs are one of the tools used for regular blood glucose monitoring , the test is performed by piercing the skin (typically,on the finger) to draw blood , then applying the blood to a chemically active disposable test strip. Being used by patients and their relatives and they are depend on their results for long periods of time ,They have clinical safety impact on the users. The aim of the study is to assess knowledge, practice and accuracy of POCTs and among diabetic patients attending diabetes clinic at Soba University Hospital. Methods: This observational , facility based cross sectional study it includes ( 200) blood glucose samples using POCTs. The results were obtained by two different glucomerters and compared by the classic method used for glucose measurement on the same sample at Soba University Hospital laboratory. Results: Two hundred blood glucose samples were received.(70%) of participants were did the test by them self while only( 30%) by their relatives . About reagent stripes preservation (80%) of the participants were preserve these stripes at room temperature , comparing to (20%) of them who use use refrigerators for preservation . Only (24%) of our participants have used control material . Out of this (37.5%) use it regularly, the remainder (62.5%) are not . ( 43% )of those who donot use the control material were check the result of the blood glucose in the hospital laboratory ,the other ( 57%) depend on the POCts readings. In this study It is found that the correlation coeffiecence between laboratory equipment and the two blood glucose self monitoring (Accu-Chek performa and I care) were to be ( 0.974) and ( 0.917 ) respectively. The correlation coeffiecence was statistically significant and the blood glucose values were not significantly different from the values of laboratory equipment (P value = 0.7 and 0.4) respectively ,after correcting for each devices average value (P value >\= 0.04). Conclusion:  Values of point-of-care test (Accu-check and I care) for blood glucose and laboratory tests didnot differ significantly .  Our participants have limited knowledge about devices accuracy, quality control system,battery, reagent stripes transport and storage.
URI: http://khartoumspace.uofk.edu/123456789/27060


Files in this item

Files Size Format View

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show full item record

Share

Search DSpace


Browse

My Account