University of Khartoum

Prevalence of HCV-Antibodies in Various Groups Screened for HBV at Khartoum Hospital

Prevalence of HCV-Antibodies in Various Groups Screened for HBV at Khartoum Hospital

Show full item record

Title: Prevalence of HCV-Antibodies in Various Groups Screened for HBV at Khartoum Hospital
Author: Mustafa, Magda
Abstract: This study was done to evaluate the seroprevalence of HCV-Abs in Khartoum area. Four hundred samples were screened for the presence of HCV-Abs by indirect ELISA using recombinant HCV-Ags. Samples were collected randomly from different groups including: 150 blood samples from blood donors at the blood bank of Khartoum Hospital; 100 blood samples were collected from travelers coming to the National Health Laboratory being tested for other viral infections; 40 blood samples were collected from haemodiolysis patients at Khartoum Center for Kidney Transplant and Dialysis and 110 blood sample from jaundiced patients visiting the Central National Health Laboratory. From this group 60 samples were previously diagnosed as HBV positive and 50 samples were HBV negative. All blood donors and travelers were found negative for HCV-Abs In contrast 15 patients out of the 40 of the haemodialysis group were found positive. This represents 37.5% of this group and 3.75% of the total number of samples being investigated as positive for the presence of HCV-Ab. In jaundiced patients only 3 patients were found positive for HCV-Abs. This gave 2.7% of this group and 0.75% of the total samples tested. When compared with the risk factors it was found that 83.33% of the HCV-Abs positive patients have been exposed to haemoclialysis machines while the other 16.66% of HCV-Abs patients were exposed to other risk factors.
URI: http://hdl.handle.net/123456789/7952
Date: 2015-04-01


Files in this item

Files Size Format View

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show full item record

Share

Search DSpace


Browse

My Account