University of Khartoum

Abdominal Sonographic Findings in Sudanese Children with Sickle Cell Anaemia

Abdominal Sonographic Findings in Sudanese Children with Sickle Cell Anaemia

Show full item record

Title: Abdominal Sonographic Findings in Sudanese Children with Sickle Cell Anaemia
Author: Nasir, EL Bagir Mohamed
Abstract: This is a cross-sectional hospital-based study performed on ninety patients with sickle cell anaemia ( SCA ) who were referred to sickle cell clinic at Khartoum paediatirc emergency hospital .Our goal was to throw light on ultrasound examination in detecting and managing the abdominal songraphic pattern in patients with SCA. Patients were referred to the U/S department of Khartoum paediatric hospital, and sometimes to Ibn Siena hospital and Yastabshiron medical center when further investigations like doppler or second opinion were needed. 28 patients ( 31.1%) belong to Messeria while the rest of the patients belong to variety of tribes. Sixty nine of the patients located in western Sudan,15 in central and the rest were from other parts of Sudan . Ultrasuond revealed (58.9%) patients with abnormal spleen. Splenomegaly in three patients (3.3% ). One of the patients less than two years old . Hypoechoic lesions in (7.8%) of patients. Three females and four males. Asplenic is present in (41.1%) of patients, about 18% were found to be asplenic by the age of 6 month , 54.8 % by the age of 2 years. Single gallstone or small and multible revealed in10 patients,the youngest one was 2.5 years old. The prevalence of gallstone is (11.1%) and it incresed steadily with age, it is10% in the age group 0- 5 and it reached 35% in those above 10 years . vii The liver was enlarged in 79 patients. (41.8 %) less than 5 yeas old , the rest (58.2% ) were between 5-16 years. One patient had multible hypoechoic liver lesion proved to be an abscess and drained in Ibn Sienaa Hospital Ultrasound showed normal renal parenchymal echogenicity in 95.6% of patients. Only four children present with diseased kidney ,two patients (2.2 %) presented with hyperechoic kidneys one has loss of corticomedallary differentiation , died later of chronic renal failure . Anothr patient had mixed lesion IVP was done for him and excretory pyelography showed a small round collection of contrast material in an area of missing papillary tip, possible acute papillary necrosis . An important feature of diagnostic ultrasound, is its apparent safety, with no ionizing radiation ,noninvasive, cheaper and portable, but it is an operator dependent.
Description: 92 Pages
URI: http://hdl.handle.net/123456789/8278
Date: 2015-04-05


Files in this item

Files Size Format View

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show full item record

Share

Search DSpace


Browse

My Account