Assessment of cervical cytological atypia among oral hormonal contraceptive pills users in Khartoum Teaching Hospital

No Thumbnail Available
Date
2015-03-30
Authors
Yousif Mohammed Azzam Zagout
Journal Title
Journal ISSN
Volume Title
Publisher
University of Khartoum
Abstract
This is a retrospective cohort case control study, conducted in Khartoum Teaching Hospital (Fath El Rahman Elbashir center) during the period from May 2004-Oct 2005 in order to assess the cervical cytological atypia and its degrees among OC pills users by the use of cytological methods. The study assessed the cytological changes in the cervix among 100 subjects. Of whom, 50 were Oral Contraceptive (OC) pills users (cases), and 50 subjects were non-OC pills users (controls). Analysis of the cytological smears identified atypia among 9(9%) subjects, and no atypia among the remaining 91(91%) subjects. Of the 9 atypical changes, 7(78%) were detected among cases and only 2(22%) among controls. These findings indicating that OC pills use is a risk factor for cervical cancer, and this was found to be statistically significant (P<0.006). Of the 7 atypical changes among cases, 5(71%) showed mild dyskaryosis and the remaining 2(29%) showed moderate dyskaryosis. The 2 atypical smears among control group were found with mild dyskaryosis. Although, atypical changes appeared after short periods of OC pills use (>1year), the risk for atypia was increasing with the increase of age (P<0.007). Fungal infections were detected among 5(10%) of the study subjects. Of these, 4(80%) were detected among cases and only 1(20%) among controls. These findings indicating that OC pills use increasing the rate of fungal infection, and this was found to be statistically significant (P<0.001). Factors such as duration of OC use, number of child birth should be considered when assessing cervical cytology. Exfoliated cytology appears to be of value in detection of pre-malignant and malignant lesions. OC pills users should undergo interval cytological screening programes. الأطروحة ملخص فى الحالتحكمية الدراسة هذه اجراء تم التعليمى الخرطوم مشفى) البشير الرحمن فتح مجمع( مايو بين ما الفترة خلال2004 اآتوبر الى2005 لعنق اللانمطية الخلوية التغيرات تحديد بهدف باست وذلك ؛ المرآبة الهرمونية الحمل منع حبوب يستخدمن اللواتى النساء لدى وحدتها الرحم خدام الخلايا علم تقنيات. ؛ امرأة لمائة الدراسة اجراء تم50 والخمسون مستهدفة آشريحة للحبوب مستخدمات منهن تحكمية آمجموعة الحبوب يستخدمن لم الأخريات . التغيرات وجدت الخلوية المسحات بتحليل في اللانمطية9)9 (% المعدل ضمن فكانت المسحات باقي ؛اما الدراسة مجموعة من الطبيعي وشكلت91)91.(% هنالك آانت التسعة اللانمطية التغيرات هذه من7)78 (%و المستهدفة الشريحة في2 )22 (%التحكمية المجموعة في فقط . هنالك آانت المستهدفة الشريحة ضمن السبعة الحالات هذه من5)71 (% خلوي سوء حالات طفيف؛2)29 (% متوسط خلوي سوء.اللانمط الحالات أما فكانت التحكمية الشريحة ضمن ية2 الطفيف النوع من آلها . آبيرة احصائية دلالة ذو اختلافا آان الشريحتين بين الاختلاف هذا أن وجد )P<0.006.( قصيرة فترة بعد تظهر أعلاه المذآورة التغيرات أن وجد) عام من أقل ( الحبوب استخدام من العمر بزيادة تزداد التغيرات هذه أن آما احصائية بدلالة ذلك ووجد(P<0.007). وجدت آما احصائية بدلالة وذلك الحبوب مستخدمات لدى أآبر بصورة الفطرية الاصابات.(P<0.001) علاقة ذات عوامل هي الكامل الحمل مرات وعدد الاستخدام فترة مثل عوامل أن ايضا المسح اجراء عند الاعتبار بعين اخذها ويجب الخلوية بالتغيراتالرحم لعنق الخلوي . آشف في عالية تشخيصية قيمة ذات تقنية هي المتساقطة الخلايا تقنية أن الدراسة هذه وجدت السرطانية والحالات السرطانية قبل الحالات من آل وتحديد. دوريا نظاما يتبعوا ان يجب الهرمونية الحمل منع حبوب مستخدمات بأن الدراسة هذه أوصت بهد الخلوي للكشفسرطانية حالات الى تفاقمها قبل طبيعية الغير الخلوية التغيرات تحديد ف
Description
A thesis is submitted for fulfillment of the degree of MS.c in MLS (Histopathology & Cytology)
Keywords
University of Khartoum Histopathology & Cytology cervical cytological atypia,oral hormonal contraceptive pills;Aetiology of cervical; carcinoma;cervical smears
Citation
Yousif Mohammed Azzam Zagout , Assessment of cervical cytological atypia among oral hormonal contraceptive pills users in Khartoum Teaching Hospital._khartoum:University of khartoum ,2005.-100p:illus,28cm,M.sc.